top of page
  • bloggingwithbuchho

Summer Road Trip Day 2:

What an opportunity we have had today! But before I get there, let me explain leading up to that point. We left our hotel in Roanoke, Virginia, and drove the rest of the way to Washington D.C. The drive was nothing short of beautiful with many tiny towns, farmland, as well as battlefields. Yesterday's drive was roughly 4 hours after traffic and stops with a total of about 237 miles. Now for the fun part of the blog! Upon arrival, the leader of our group ran up to us to let us know that we had been invited to take a private late-night tour of the Capital Building. What an honor! We arrived at the White House at around 9;30 at night where a former Congressman of Tennessee met us to let us in. It was surreal to see the inside! Marble pillars, chandeliers hung on every corner, it was so neat to see! We walked around for a bit looking up and down at the million pictures. It was awesome! I learned that each state is allowed to put two statues/sculptures in the capital at one time. We continued on to our next room. I cannot believe I get to say this, but... We got to stand on the floor of Congress! Not only that, but we got to sit in the very chairs the congressmen do. What a privilege! It was crazy to learn exactly how that room works. Congressmen get to submit their vote by inserting a card, similar to an old hotel key, into a slot. They pick either yay, nay, or present if they do not wish to vote. We learned some history in the room, then continued on. We next got to visit the rotunda where we learned about all of the paintings that were in that building. We sang "God Bless America" in the rotunda which made me feel extremely patriotic. It was breathtaking! We then went into a hallway where the Senate floor was. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go in there since we were with a Congressmen. However, he taught us the history of it and we moved on. We went down the hall where all of the Vice President's head moldings were, then at the end, we got to walk to see where Presidential inaugurations happen! That concluded our tour which lasted until about 12:30 in the morning! It was worth every second! We then went back to the hotel to get some must needed sleep. Of course, we needed to be up at 7 in the morning, so 5-6 hours of sleep wasn't fun this morning, but I managed to push through. Thanks for reading! It means a lot and I cannot wait to read all of the comments that come through!

Attached are just some of the photos I took during the tour!

Safe Travels!


13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page